Albert's Peach Cobbler
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
4 (15 ounce) cans sliced peaches packed in juice, drained and juice reserved
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Pour the melted margarine into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and white sugar.
4. Stir in 1 cup of the reserved liquid from the peaches and the milk until smooth.
5. Pour the batter evenly into the bottom of the dish over the margarine. Do not stir.
6. Spoon peaches over the batter.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden.
1 (16 ounce) jar applesauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
18 apple - peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together applesauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and salt.
4. Place sliced apples in a large bowl. Add applesauce mixture and stir well. Spoon mixture into baking dish.
5. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and flour. Stir in melted butter or margarine. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apple filling.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Makes 16 servings
Steak and Bacon Tournedos
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
Unseasoned meat tenderizer to taste
10 slices bacon, cooked, but still soft
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
2. Score one side of the flank steak with diagonal cuts.
3. Season meat on both sides with tenderizer, pepper, garlic powder, and salt; lay flat, scored side down.
4. Sprinkle with parsley, and lay bacon strips lengthwise on steak, then roll up jellyroll style.
5. Skewer with 8 evenly spaced wooden toothpicks. Form 8 steaks by cutting in between toothpicks with a serrated knife.
6. Place steaks on preheated grill. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning once, or to desired doneness.
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1-1/2 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 pound smoked sausage, sliced
1-1/2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
3 bay leaves
1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic; cook and stir for a few minutes, until the onion is transparent. Add the sausage to the skillet, and cook for a few more minutes to brown.
2. Pour in the kidney beans, cannellini beans and tomatoes, and season with the bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
3. Remove bay leaves and discard. Sprinkle parsley over the top, and serve.
4. Prep and cooking time 30 minutes
Pinto Bean CasseroleSoul Food
1 pound ground beef (I use chuck.)
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
4 large potatoes, sliced thin and boiled until fork tender
1 large onion sliced thin
1 teaspoon salt
1 10-ounce can tomato soup
½ can water
1 medium green pepper thinly sliced
1. Brown beef in skillet, stirring until done. Drain grease.
2. Preheat oven to 350°.
3. Layer beans, cooked beef, cooked potatoes and onions in a 2 ½ -quart casserole. Sprinkle with salt. Mix tomato soup with water and pour over all. Top with green pepper. Cover tightly and bake for 1 hour in a preheated 350° oven.
For perfect meal, serve with cole slaw and cornbread.
Buzzard's Breath Chili Source: Tom Griffin, Houston, Texas - World Championship, Arriba Terlingua, Texas
8 pounds beef (US Choice boneless chuck)
3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 large onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
2 jalapeno peppers
Chili powder (about twice the label amount)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon oregano
Salt to taste
1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
Cayenne pepper to taste
Masa Harina (as needed)
1 quart beef stock
1. Take meat and chop into 3/8-inch cubes, removing all gristle and visible fat. Brown in an iron skillet, about 2 pounds at a time.
2. Place in a large cast-iron chili pot, adding tomato sauce and equal amounts of water. Add chopped onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers (wrapped in cheesecloth) and chili powder.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes, then add the cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
4. As moisture is required, add homemade beef stock until amount is used, then add water if needed.
5. Simmer, covered, until meat is tender (about 2 hours), stirring occasionally.
6. Then add the Masa Harina to thicken if needed. Add paprika for color. Cook 10 additional minutes; correct the seasoning. Discard the jalapenos and serve.
7. A small additional amount of cumin enhances aroma when added in the last ten minutes.
Leatherneck's World-Famous SOS Recipe
1 1/2 pounds extra lean hamburger or ground chuck
2 tbsp. oleo or butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tbsp. soy sauce (or less to taste)
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown the meat, then drain.
2. Add oleo. Stir in the onions and cook until you can see through them.
3. Add flour, stir and cook two to three minutes.
4. Add garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mix thoroughly.
5. Add milk and stir until it thickens. Serve over bread.
Camp Lejeune's SOS Recipe for Manly Men
1 lb. lean hamburger
3 tsp. beef stock powder
3 tbsp. plain flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 pint whole milk
1. Brown hamburger.
2. Add beef stock powder, flour, salt, pepper and then cook.
3. Add Worcestershire sauce.
4. Add milk and stir over low heat until thickened.
5. Serve on burnt toast.
Green Chili Burgers Burgers are cooked with cheese and topped with green chile peppers, tomatoes, and onion.
1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1 clove garlic crushed and finely minced
1/8 teaspoon ground black or seasoned pepper
1 teaspoon ground chile mild
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese or 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend of cheeses
4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chili peppers, drained
4 large slices sweet onion
1 medium tomato, sliced
4 leaves lettuce, romaine or your favorite
chunky salsa, fresh or good purchased salsa
1. Mix lean ground beef with garlic, pepper, ground chile, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Shape into 4 flat patties.
3. Preheat broiler or grill, then cook burgers about 4 inches from heat, turning when halfway done.
4. Cook until very little or no pink remains.
5. Just before serving, place a slice of cheese or grated cheese on each burger.
6. Top each bun with a hamburger patty and cheese, green chile peppers, an onion slice, tomato slice, and lettuce leaf.
7. Serve burgers with a dish of salsa on the side.
Spam Breakfast Burritos
1 can SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed-(12 oz)
2 tablespoons Milk
1 tablespoons Butter or margarine
6 Flour tortillas (6")
1 cup Shredded Cheddar cheese, - divided
1 cup Shredded Monterey Jack cheese - divided
Chi-Chi's Salsa to Taco Sauce
1. Heat oven to 400'F.
2. In bowl, beat together SPAM, eggs, and milk.
3. Melt butter in large skillet; add egg mixture.
4. Cook, stirring, to desired doneness.
5. Fill each tortilla with SPAM mixture and half of cheeses.
6. Roll burrito; place seam side down on 12x8" baking dish.
7. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top of burritos.
8. Bake 5-10 minutes of until cheese is melted.
Serve with salsa.
Serving Size : 6
Honey Mustard Chicken
Honey Mustard Dressing/Marinade
(note you may want to make extra)
1/2 c. Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
1/2 c. Honey
1.1/2 tsp. Vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. Lemom juice
4 skinless boneless chicken breast
2 c sliced mushrooms
1 tbs butter
Salt & pepper
8 slices bacon, cooked (do not crumble it)
1 c shredded Mont. Jack Cheese
1 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 tsp parsley, chopped
1. Using a blender or whisk, combine dressing/marinade ingredients till well blended.
2. Pour about 2/3 of the mixture over the chicken and Marinade for 30 min-1 hour.
3. When ready to cook season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
4. Either grill or broil chicken breasts till just done.
5. As chicken is cooking sauté mushrooms in the 2 tbs of butter.
If grilling chicken place chicken once done on a broiler pan or Cookie sheet. On top of the chicken place 2 slices of bacon, 1/4 of the mushrooms followed by 1/4 c. each of the Monterey Jack Cheese and Cheddar Cheese. Bake at 375° till cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with remaining dressing mixture.
Marshmallow Sweet Potato Casserole
8 med. sweet potatoes
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. hot milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 lb. marshmallows
1. Cook sweet potatoes until tender. Remove skins and mash.
2. When smooth, beat in butter, milk, salt, spices. Beat well.
3. Fold in walnuts and turn into buttered baking dish.
4. Top with marshmallows and bake at 350 degrees until marshmallows puff and become golden brown
Chocolate Cherry Merlot Brownies
1 1/4 cups (6-oz. pkg.) dried sweet cherries, chopped
1/2 cup merlot wine
1 bar (8 oz.) NESTLÉ CHOCOLATIER™ 53% Cacao Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, broken into small sections
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Grease 9-inch-square baking pan.
2. MICROWAVE dried cherries and merlot wine in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute. Set aside for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain cherries; discard wine.
3. MICROWAVE chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Sections may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth; cool to room temperature.
4. COMBINE flour and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in medium mixer bowl until well mixed. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture until blended. Stir in drained cherries. Spread into prepared pan.
BAKE for 33 to 37 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
NOTE: Sweetened dried cranberries can be substituted for the dried cherries.
Preparation - 20 min | Cooking - 33 min | Yields - 16 brownies
Olive Garden Chicken Crostina
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups & 1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp roasted garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
1 ½ cups heavy cream
5 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb linguine
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup roma tomatoes, cored & diced
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1 ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
¼ cup melted butter
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1 small potato, peeled & grated
Salt & pepper to taste
1. MIX all ingredients for Potato Crust in a bowl and set aside.
2. MIX 1 ½ cups flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess. Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a large skillet. Cook chicken breasts 2 at a time over medium-high heat until golden brown and crisp, or until internal temperature reaches 165° F. Add more oil for each batch as necessary.
3. PLACE cooked chicken breasts on a baking sheet or dish and top with potato crust mixture. Transfer baking sheet to a pre-heated broiler until golden brown (1-2 minutes).
4. COOK pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
5. HEAT 2 Tbsp oil in a sauce pan. Add roasted garlic, cook for 1 minute. Stir in 1 Tbsp of flour and wine and bring to a boil. Add cream, parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp parsley, and tomatoes. Sauce is done when it is bubbling throughout and begins to thicken.
6. COAT pasta with sauce, then top with chicken and remaining sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley
Chili's Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup crushed walnuts or almonds
1/3 cup Graham Cracker crumbs
3 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter and combine with the Graham Cracker crumbs and sugar.
3. Press into bottom of a 1 quart casserole dish. Top evenly with chocolate chips.
4. Bake for 5 minutes until chocolate is melted. Spread melted chips out evenly over crust.
1. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
2. Add milk, oil and vanilla and stir until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts. Pour into crust.
3. Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean.
4. Serve warm with ice cream, hot fudge and caramel sauce.
Fresh Strawberry Pie From the USS Askari Night Baker
1 9-inch baked pie shell, cooled
2 pts fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tbsps corn starch
1 3-oz box strawberry jello
1 tsp Mccormick's strawberry extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. In a medium saucepan stir together sugar, water, salt, and cornstarch.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Continue to cook and stir for about 1 minute or until thick and glossy.
4. Remove from heat and stir in jello and strawberry extract.
5. Let cool to room temperature.
6. Place 1/2 the whole strawberries over bottom of baked pie shell.
7. Place 1/2 the filling mixture over strawberries.
8. Use remaining strawberries in pie and cover with remaining filling.
9. Chill in refrigerator for 2 or 3 hours before serving.
10. Serve with whipped cream.
This makes one 9 inch pie.